Neighbors tried garden hoses on fatal Ore. fire

Published:

 

COOS BAY, Ore. (AP) -- Neighbors say that when they awoke to see flames shooting from a window of a mobile home next door in a neighborhood near Coos Bay, they raced with garden hoses to try to put it out.

But Ron and Bonnie Taylor tell the World newspaper (http://bit.ly/H975Un ) they couldn't. They say there were also explosions from oxygen bottles inside the single-wide mobile home.

Firefighters say that by the time they arrived on Sunday, two women inside were dead of smoke inhalation. They've been identified as 67-year-old Elaine Carol Lowry and her friend, 56-year-old Diana Susan Hammans.

Firefighters rescued a third resident, 69-year-old Charles Mitchell, as the flames made their way to his bedroom. He's expected to recover.

Firefighters say smoking in bed led to the fire.

___

Information from: The World, http://www.theworldlink.com