One hurt when blast rattles Camas neighborhood
Explosion reportedly caused by stored fireworks
Originally published April 25, 2012 at 5:44 p.m., updated April 25, 2012 at 8:45 p.m.
5525 N.W. Jackson Loop
One person was injured and a neighborhood rattled Wednesday when an explosion damaged the garage of a house in Camas.
The explosion was reported at 5:13 p.m. at 5525 N.W. Jackson Loop, fire officials said.
Firefighters responding to the call found a buckled garage door and smoke coming from inside. A check determined that fire had not spread to the rest of the structure.
The blast came from a box of fireworks that exploded while being stored in the garage, firefighters radioed in. It was unclear whether fireworks caused the boom, Camas-Washougal Battalion Chief Mark Ervin said about an hour after the boom.
An ambulance transported the home’s lone occupant to PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center in Vancouver with non-life threatening injuries, Ervin said. He did not know the injured person’s name.
Clark County property records indicate the house is owned by Michael and Bernice Sundby.