Heisson fire disrupts electrical service
Clark PUD reports as many as 600 without power
Friday, April 27, 2012
An substation fire reported in the Heisson neighborhood northeast of Battle Ground knocked out power in the area for part of Friday morning.
The fire was reported at 10:12 a.m. as an outbuilding fire. A passerby apparently saw smoke coming from a concrete shed along Northeast 172nd Avenue near Northeast 279th Street. Crews later confirmed the fire had occurred at a Clark Public Utilities substation at that location.
Clark Public Utilities reported as many as 1,162 customers without power during the outage, according to spokeswoman Erica Erland. Electricity was fully restored within about an hour, she said. Erland added the fire was caused by "faulty equipment" at the substation, but didn't have specifics beyond that.
Firefighters responded to the scene along 172nd Avenue. The fire was reported under control about 10:35 a.m.