AIBA says boxers made no illegal promoter contact
Wednesday, August 1, 2012
LONDON (AP) -- Amateur boxing's governing body has cleared members of the U.S. Olympic boxing team of any wrongdoing in their contact with a professional promoter before the games.
AIBA announced Wednesday night that no American boxers entered into illegal promotional agreements before the Olympics in violation of amateur rules.
AIBA didn't specify the promoter or fighters involved, but Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions issued a news release last week touting its plans to showcase the pro debuts of several Olympic boxers on CBS telecasts in October and December.
An AIBA rule bans amateur boxers from entering into any form of agreement with any promoter.
AIBA President Wu Ching-Kuo says the USOC and USA Boxing clarified the arrangement to his satisfaction.