UPDATE: Homeowner douses porch fire with garden hose

By Paul Suarez, Columbian web producer

Published:

Updated: August 3, 2012, 10:42 PM

 

A homeowner doused a porch fire at a Hough neighborhood home early Friday.

The fire was reported at 7:12 a.m. at 1802 Kauffman Ave., according to emergency dispatch logs. A ladder truck, engine, battalion chief and fire marshal from the Vancouver Fire Department responded.

Capt. Matt Krussow said his crew could see a smoke column when leaving the station. When firefighters arrived, the homeowner had put the fire out using a garden hose, Krussow said.

The fire caused an estimated $10,000 in damage, said Capt. Scott Willis, Vancouver fire spokesman.

It was unintentional and caused by the improper storage of a smoking object, Willis said.

Firefighters suggest people who smoke outside use noncombustible storage containers made of metal or glass to store smoldering materials, he said.