Warrant issued for suspect in gang-related shooting
Originally published August 29, 2012 at 2:01 p.m., updated August 29, 2012 at 6:12 p.m.
Prosecutors have issued an attempted murder warrant for a Vancouver gang member accused of shooting a man early Saturday.
The warrant, which also charges first-degree assault, was filed Monday in Clark County Superior Court against Gregorio R. Chavez, 21.
The drive-by shooting occurred just after midnight, as a 19-year-old man was walking in the 3300 block of East 18th Street. He was struck twice by gunfire, in the leg and foot.
It was the second gang-related shooting in Vancouver in slightly more than two weeks. Another teenager was wounded by gunfire in the Hough neighborhood on the early morning of Aug. 13.
According to court paperwork, the alleged victim of Saturday’s attack, a Sureno gang member, said he knew the gunman as a fellow gang member. He said the shooting occurred after the two men exchanged words and the 19-year-old tried to flee.
After being shot, the teen was treated at PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center and gave a statement to police investigators.
The victim told police investigators that he suspected the shooting was in retaliation for a dispute over a woman, according to court documents. The 19-year-old said Chavez knew the woman had been at the teen’s house prior to being assaulted and that Chavez believed the 19-year-old had assaulted her.
Police said Chavez’s whereabouts are not known.
The arrest warrant requests Chavez be held in jail on a no-bail hold.