Timbers acquire U.S. youth international

Portland wins lottery for Fehr

By Paul Danzer, Columbian Soccer, hockey and Community Sports Reporter



PORTLAND — The Portland Timbers acquired United States youth international player Mobi Fehr through a weighted lottery conducted on Tuesday by Major League Soccer. at MLS headquarters.

Fehr, 18, who plays midfield and defense, was a key player for the U.S. U-17 national team in 2011, helping lead the team to the CONCACAF U-17 championship and to the Round of 16 in the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Mexico.

“Mobi is a young, versatile player with a great deal of ability,” Timbers general manager Gavin Wilkinson said. “After having the opportunity to see him in training with the club this past season, we know him to be a quality player and look forward to seeing his continued development.”

In 2012, Fehr was called into camp with the U.S. U-20 national team in February and represented the U.S. U-18 national team at the Lisbon Tournament in May.

The Timbers were one of three teams to participate in Tuesday’s lottery and held an 83.1 percent chance of acquiring Fehr. Seattle (15.5 percent) and San Jose (1.4 percent) also entered into the lottery.

n Timbers to open on March 2 – Portland will begin its third MLS season on Sunday, March 2, with a home match against the New York Red Bulls. Kickoff time has not yet been announced. MLS on Tuesday released the home-opener dates for each team. The rest of the 2013 schedule will be released at a later date.

n Timbers event in Vancouver — The Timbers’ six-city preseason tour will start on Jan. 5 at the Clark County Indoor Sports Center in Vancouver. Timbers players Brent Richards and Ryan Kawulok will lead a youth soccer clinic from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., followed by a tree planting event. To register for the free soccer clinic, visit www.portlandtimbers.com.