Dog starts fire that destroys Vancouver house

By Mark Bowder, Columbian assistant metro editor

Published:

 
11613 N.E. 65th Ave.

A dog inadvertently started a fire that destroyed a house early Saturday morning in Vancouver’s Sunnyside neighborhood, according to the Vancouver Fire Department.

Firefighters were dispatched to the blaze at 11613 N.E. 65th Ave. at 12:43 a.m. and could see fire and smoke from more than a mile away, said Vancouver Fire Department Capt. David James. They arrived at 12:49 a.m. to find heavy fire and smoke coming from the back of the single-story ranch house.

James said the renter had left the dog alone in the house for the first time, and investigators believe the dog jumped up looking for food on the stove and inadvertently turned the stove on, which caused items on the stove to catch fire.

When the fire was brought under control, only a small section of the home remained standing, according to James. He said the house is likely a total loss, with $100,000 damage to the structure and $75,000 to the contents.

The dog did not survive.

Three engines, a truck company and two chiefs responded to the blaze.

County property records show the house is owned by Vance James of Vancouver.