People in business
• Louise Kaplan, a former associate professor at Washington State University Vancouver, has been hired by St. Martin’s University in Lacey as director for its new RN-to-BSN nursing program. Kaplan most recently was senior policy fellow at the American Nurses Association in Silver Spring, Md. She has taught at the University of Washington, Pacific Lutheran University and George Washington University.
• Riverview Community Bank’s Dick Michalek has been promoted to senior commercial team leader in charge of loan production, and is a member of Riverview’s executive management team. In his new capacity, Michalek is responsible for all bank loan production. He is an 11-year Riverview employee with 40 years of banking experience. Michalek earned an MBA from Seattle University and is a graduate of Pacific Coast Banking School.
• Jordan Ramis PC has announced that shareholder James D. Howsley has been appointed to the Building Industry Association of Washington’s legal committee for 2012. Howsley earned his law degree from Willamette University’s College of Law. He is also government affairs director for the Building Industry Association of Clark County. Jordan Ramis PC was established in 1963 and has offices in Oregon and Washington.
• Ryan Greear, a certified public accountant, has been promoted to partner at Frumenti Lander & Wallace P.S., an accounting firm based in Vancouver. Greear’s background includes more than 11 years of experience in public accounting, specializing in tax services for closely held businesses and their owners. He is involved in a number of professional and civic organizations and serves on the board for the Clark County Family YMCA.
• Emily Sullivan has been named development director for Columbia Springs, an environmental education center in Vancouver. She is responsible for developing strategies and campaigns that promote individual and corporate giving. Sullivan has degrees in geophysics and environmental engineering. Columbia Springs is located at the historic Vancouver Trout Hatchery.
• Stockton & Associates PC, a certified public accounting firm based in Vancouver, has opened a second office in Battle Ground. The firm’s Vancouver office has been in operation since 1989. Donna Graham, a CPA who joined the firm in October 2011, will work full time in the Battle Ground office, 118 S. Parkway Ave., Suite 209. Brittany Huckins, who joined the company in November 2011, is the firm’s director of client services and provides administrative support to team members. Huckins works in the Vancouver office, 1605 F St., Suite 101. * http://www.stocktonpc.com, 360-695-6511.
• Owners, Wendy Sturm and Erin Martuscelli opened WE Plan It LLC on Feb. 3. The new business handles the details of gatherings, from lunch meetings to family weekend outings, in the Southwest Washington and Portland area. * Wendy@weplanit.com or Erin@weplanit.com; 360-844-1753.
Other business news
• On Feb. 1, Paws-N-Claws changed its name to ReTails Thrift Store. The stores at 3200 N.E. 52nd St. and 13898 N.E. 28th St. are some of the largest contributors to the Humane Society for Southwest Washington. Donations are accepted at either store. In mid-February there will be a trailer at the humane society, 1100 N.E. 192nd Ave., to receive donations.