FIFA gives $250K to families of Egypt riot victims
Tuesday, February 7, 2012
ZURICH (AP) -- FIFA is giving $250,000 in aid to the families of the victims of last week's soccer melee in Egypt.
FIFA says it will give the money to a charitable account opened by the Al-Ahly club.
Fans of the Cairo club were among more than 70 people who died in a violent rampage and stampede after a league match between Al-Masry and Al-Ahly in Port Said.
FIFA President Sepp Blatter says "many of the victims were so young. They were also a crucial support for their families, who now need help."
Police have been accused of failing to protect Al-Ahly fans, who helped lead protests last year against the regime of ousted president Hosni Mubarak.
The stadium tragedy fueled renewed protests against Egypt's military rulers.