PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad (AP) — Trinidad and Tobago’s soccer federation says it plans to sue former FIFA vice president Jack Warner to recover millions of dollars in funds, including those slated for Haiti as a post-earthquake donation.
Federation lawyer Derek Ali told a judge Friday that he planned to file a lawsuit and accused Warner of not releasing audited accounts, as promised. High Court Judge Devindra Rampersad ordered Ali to send Warner a protocol letter advising him of the federation’s intentions.
Warner told reporters the federation had the right to file a lawsuit and said he will wait to see what happens.
Warner, former president of soccer’s governing body for North and Central America and the Caribbean, previously served as the federation’s special adviser and resigned last year to avoid a bribery probe.