Weekly junior hockey report, Feb. 17
Friday, February 17, 2012
Where they stand: At 38-15-2-1 (79 points), the Winterhawks are tied for first place in the U.S. Division with Tri-City (38-15-1-9). Kamloops (86 points) leads the BC Division and the Western Conference.
This week: At Everett on Friday, host Seattle at 3 p.m. on Saturday, host Prince George at 3 p.m. on Monday and at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, host Spokane on Feb. 24.
Last week: Won 4-2 at Tri-City, won 7-2 at Seattle, beat Tri-City 5-3.
Player of the week: Sven Bartschi. Bartschi had three goals and four assists in three games, all wins. He scored the first goal in both critical wins over the Tri-City Americans.
Notes and numbers:
• Portland has won three consecutive meetings with Tri-City to pull even with the Americans atop the U.S. Division.
• Goalie Mac Carruth has tied the franchise record for wins in a season with 35. His win over Tri-City on Wednesday matched the record set by Brent Belecki in 1997-98, and also pushed Carruth past Belecki on the career wins list. With 80 wins, Carruth is now second behind the 105 wins of Darrell May, Sr.
• Oliver Gabriel has an eight-game point streak. Bartschi and Brad Ross have registered points in seven consecutive games.
• Garry Davidson, the Winterhawks’ director of player personnel since 2008, is the Everett Silvertips new general manager. With the Winterhawks, Davidson oversaw the team’s scouting of players for the annual WHL bantam draft.
• The Winterhawks have signed Dominic Turgeon, the team’s third round pick, 64th overall, of the 2011 WHL Bantam Draft.
Turgeon is the son of former NHL player Pierre Turgeon, the first overall pick of the 1987 NHL Entry Draft. Pierre Turgeon had 515 goals and 812 assists in 1,294 NHL games over 19 seasons.
Where they stand: At 16-21-2 (34 points), the Victory are in fifth place in the seven-team NORPAC.
This week: Vancouver wraps up the regular season with home games against Eugene at 8 p.m. on Saturday and at 1 p.m. on Sunday. Both games are at Mountain View Ice Arena.
Last week: Idle.
Playoffs next: The NORPAC will release a playoff schedule once the regular season is complete.