Dry Christmas tree feeds fire at Sandy home



SANDY, Ore. (AP) — The cause of a fire at a home in Sandy has not officially been determined, but the fire department says it involved a Christmas tree.

The fire was confined to the living room of the home and caused significant burns to a man who lives there. He’s been taken to Legacy Emmanuel Medical Center.

No one else was home at the time Thursday night. The man escaped by jumping out a second-story window and then extinguished the fire with a garden hose with help from of a neighbor.

Fire Department spokeswoman Alice Busch says Christmas trees are extremely hazardous when dry and it doesn’t take much to ignite a dry Christmas tree.