WA soldiers' lockdown ends; theft probe continues
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
JOINT BASE LEWIS-MCCHORD, Wash. (AP) -- The Army says about 100 soldiers have been released from lockdown at Joint Base Lewis-McChord but criminal investigators continue their probe into the theft of $600,000 worth of weapons accessories.
In a statement, the Army said the soldiers from the 4th Stryker Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division were allowed to go home Tuesday evening. They had been restricted to their battalion headquarters since Jan. 4.
The missing items include night vision goggles, laser sights and rifle scopes.
Brigade commander Col. Michael Getchell said in the statement that the restrictions "have been an integral part of the investigation."
An Associated Press phone message to the investigating office was not immediately returned Tuesday night.