Firefighters douse blaze near Cedar Creek, south of Chelatchie Prairie

By John Branton and Dave Kern

Published:

Updated: January 17, 2012, 10:09 PM

 

Firefighters were called at 5:40 p.m. Tuesday to 27717 N.E. 389th St., near Cedar Creek and at the end of Elliott Road.

When heavy snow broke branches and pulled the power line down, the breaker at the pole did not switch the power off, said Chief Ben Peeler with Fire District 13, based in Yacolt.

The property is south of Chelatchie Prairie and several miles east of Amboy.

Explosions inside and outside the home started a fire in the electrical panel in the laundry room and it spread to a wall.

With the electricity still on, firefighters went inside and held the fire to the laundry room, saving the rest of the house. Damage was estimated at $20,000, Peeler said. No one was reported injured.

A resident of the home had heard an explosion, exited safely and called 911, officials said.

With an estimated 6 inches of snow, fire engines were able to make it downhill to reach the burning home.

The property is owned by Randall and Karen Hayes, according to county property records.

John Branton: 360-735-4513 or john.branton@columbian.com.