Promoters: Khan withdraws appeal to IBF
Tuesday, January 17, 2012
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Amir Khan withdrew his appeal to the IBF over his split-decision loss to Lamont Peterson because of fears he wouldn't receive a fair hearing.
The British boxer's promoters say there would have been only "partial representation of fight officials" at the hearing that was scheduled for Wednesday in New Jersey but was canceled by the Khan camp at late notice.
Khan's promoter, Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions, told ringtv he didn't believe it would be a "fully transparent meeting because only part of the story was going to be told."
Khan claimed poor refereeing and interference with fight judges by a "mystery man" were behind his loss to Peterson in the Dec. 10 fight in Washington. He was granted a rematch by the WBA last week.