Peterson appeals WBA decision for rematch vs Khan
Wednesday, January 18, 2012
LONDON (AP) -- Lamont Peterson's camp says it has submitted an appeal to the WBA, asking it to overturn the decision to order a rematch against Amir Khan.
Peterson's management team dismissed speculation that it has already held negotiations about another bout with Khan, who has protested the split-decision loss in their Dec. 10 fight.
Peterson's camp says in a statement that it is "confident that the WBA will overturn its decision mandating an immediate rematch and recognize Lamont Peterson as the true and final WBA Jr. Welterweight World Champion."
While the WBA granted a rematch last week, Khan withdrew his IBF appeal on Tuesday because of what his promoter described as concerns that he wouldn't receive a fair hearing.
The Peterson statement called Khan's withdrawal of the appeal "as a form of vindication."