MILWAUKIE, Ore. (AP) -- A natural gas leak prompted officials to temporarily evacuate eight homes in the south Portland suburb of Milwaukie.
Clackamas Fire District 1 spokesman Steve McAdoo says fire crews and a natural gas utility crew responded after a woman called 911 at about 9 p.m. Tuesday to report a "very strong smell of rotten eggs" at her home.
NW Natural Gas crews using air monitors detected "explosive levels" of gas in the home. High gas levels also were found at the home next door.
McAdoo says fire crews evacuated neighbors, and a transit bus was called in to provide the residents with temporary shelter. PG&E also responded and shut off power to the homes as a precaution.
McAdoo says NW Natural Gas was able to find the problem and stop the leak by about 11 p.m. All neighbors were let back into their homes a short time later.
Information from: The Oregonian, http://www.oregonlive.com