Fireworks cause house fire in east Vancouver

By Paul Suarez, Columbian web producer

Published:

 

Used fireworks sparked a blaze that caused at least $150,000 in damage at a Cascade Park-area home early Thursday, firefighters said.

The fire was first reported at a single-story home at 2108 S.E. 135th Ave. just before 1:30 a.m., according to emergency dispatch logs.

Firefighters arrived six minutes later and found a working garage fire, said Capt. Kevin Murray, Vancouver fire spokesman.

The fire sparked from used fireworks that were stored in a flammable container that was kept too close to the house, Murray said.

“(Homeowners) thought (the fireworks) had expired and cooled off," Murray said. "Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case.”

The garage's roof was completely burned off. Radiant heat ignited a boat and van parked in the driveway. Both vehicles were a totaled, Murray said. Two other cars parked in the driveway had minor damage from the fire.

No one was reported injured.

Three people in the house were alerted to the blaze by a smoke alarm. The fire caused an estimated $150,000 to $175,000 in damage, Murray said.

The American Red Cross also responded. The family has insurance and didn't need assistance, Murray said.

County property records indicate the home is owned by Randall and Cherie Schachterle.