Smoke detector sniffs out electrical fire

Woman, pets escape Fourth Plain Village home

By Paris Achen, Columbian courts reporter

Published:

 

Severe smoke from an interior fire Saturday drove a woman and her five cats and dogs out of their home at 2907 E. 26th St. in Vancouver's Fourth Plain Village neighborhood.

Both the woman and the pets escaped the blaze. A working smoke detector sounded the alarm, said Capt. Kevin Murray, a Vancouver Fire Department spokesman.

The fire caused severe smoke damage to the one-story, 1,000-square-foot ranch but little structural damage, Murray said. An investigator later determined the fire's origin was electrical in nature.

The American Red Cross is helping the woman and her pets.

County property records show the homeowners are Leslie and Cathleen Lowery.