Apartment fire causes $200K in damage

By Dave Kern and Paul Suarez

Published:

Updated: July 9, 2012, 9:42 AM

 

The apartment fire that displaced six residents early Sunday caused an estimated $200,000 in damage and may have sparked from an improperly disposed cigarette, said Kevin Stromberg, Vancouver Fire Department spokesman.

Stromberg said Monday that Vancouver fire marshals listed the cause of the fire as “undetermined” but believe a cigarette may have led to the blaze.

The fire was reported at 5:08 a.m. Sunday at 919 U St. near Mill Plain Boulevard. Firefighters arrived after about 10 minutes and found a tenant using a garden hose on the fire on an upstairs patio, said Capt. Dave James.

Firefighters doused the blaze and prevented it from getting into the attic and other units.

A man who was living alone in the unit, and five tenants downstairs were displaced. The Red Cross was helping all six.