A 9-year-old girl whose clothes caught fire in her La Center home in late June is still listed in critical condition at a Portland hospital.
Addie Perrenoud, 9, remained Wednesday in the Oregon Burn Center at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in Portland, hospital spokeswoman Megan Turnell said.
Around 9:20 a.m. June 27, firefighters responded to a reported house fire at the Perrenouds’ house at 652 W. Fifth St. in La Center. Crews arrived four minutes later and found Addie in the home with second- and third-degree burns on 75 percent of her body, Clark County Fire & Rescue Chief Dennis Mason said.
Addie was sent to the burn center via Life Flight helicopter. Her mother was also taken to the burn center, where she was treated and released.
Firefighters believe the girl was using a match in the bathroom, possibly to light a candle, when her flannel night gown caught fire. Addie ran into the hallway and her mother, Kelly Perrenoud, got her to the ground and put the fire out, Mason said.
Clark County Deputy Fire Marshal Richard Martin, who is investigating the case, believes liquid fabric softeners may have played a role in the fast-moving blaze.