Shoppers evacuated after gas leak in Woodland

By

Published:

 

A natural gas leak in a Woodland shopping center caused several stores to be evacuated for about an hour Wednesday morning.

The leak was reported at 1251 Lewis River Road just after 8:30 a.m., according to emergency dispatch logs.

The Woodland Fire Department, Cowlitz County Fire District 1 and Clark County Fire & Rescue responded.

Firefighters arrived and found a natural gas odor in multiple spaces in the building, said Woodland Chief Mike Jackson. Firefighters then disconnected gas service and had the building evacuated.

Firefighters worked with Cascade Natural crews to ventilate the building and find the leak.

After about an hour, people were let back into the buildings. Firefighters cleared the scene around 10:30 a.m., Jackson said.