TROUT LAKE — Gotchen Creek Guard Station, the oldest building in the Gifford PInchot National Forest, will be open to the public to visit this summer.
Built in 1909, the two-room cabin in an aspen grove will be open noon to 5 p.m. Fridays through Wednesdays from July 27 through Sept. 26.
From Trout Lake, drive north on Mount Adams road for 1.1 miles, then continue right on forest Road No. 82 and follow for 3.2 miles. Go straight onto road No. 8225 and follow the gravel road for 3.1 miles. Take a right onto road No. 8225060 and follow for 0.2 miles to the gate to the cabin on your left.
Restored by the Forest Service and volunteers, the station was used regularly into the 1990s.
It is the only building on the forest that survives from the administration of Gifford Pinchot, first chief of the agency.
Map and directions to the cabin also are available at the Mount Adams Ranger Station in Trout Lake or by calling 509-395-3402.