Discarded cigarette suspected in house fire

By Paul Suarez, Columbian freelance

Published:

 

A Vancouver fire marshal said the cause of a Saturday morning fire is "most probably" a discarded cigarette, according to Vancouver fire Capt. Scott Willis.

The fire was reported just before 6:30 a.m. Saturday at 5421 N.W. Cherry St. in the Northwest neighborhood.

The fire caused an estimated $100,000 in damage, primarily because it got into the attic, Willis said.

The fire started on a deck behind the house and extended into the attic, firefighters said.

A smoke detector alerted a family with several dogs about the fire.