All-Region girls golf
Chloe Bartek, Columbia River High School
Friday, June 8, 2012
Chloe Bartek's summer is jam-packed.
She has 13 golf tournaments. Maybe more if she qualifies for even bigger tournaments. There is a chance she will play at famed Torrey Pines in San Diego.
It is an important time for a golfer of Bartek's talent. This will be her final summer of golf before her senior year, before she picks a college.
Her junior year just put her in the mood to keep excelling.
Bartek, a Columbia River Chieftain, won her second consecutive district championship this spring -- destroying the field in the process -- and then took seventh at the Class 3A state tournament.
For that, she is The Columbian's All-Region girls golfer of the year.
Even if she has all kinds of individual events this summer, she also loves the team aspect of high school golf.
"I like playing with my friends. I've always thought that was fun. And you get to meet people from other schools," Bartek said. "I never would have met Belex (Cheng of Union), or Jamie (Stilwell) and Amanda (Poore) of Prairie. I'm hoping to be friends with them for a long time. They're all amazing people."
Right now, though, Bartek is a bit more amazing on the golf course.
She won the 3A district tournament, a two-day event, by 23 strokes. The winner of the 4A tournament, held at the same course on the same days, was 19 strokes behind Bartek's total.
Last year, Bartek said her goal was to repeat as district champion and have two rounds in the 70s. Accomplished. She also wanted to better her place at state. Accomplished.
"Of course, I was hoping to win," Bartek said. "I wish I had done better but I was in the top 10, so that's good."
She acknowledged that perhaps nerves got the best of her at state.
"Maybe pressure. I was nervous," she said. "But that's what's fun about the competition. It forces you to focus more."
Bartek's focus for now and into 2013 and beyond will center around golf.
• Played rounds in the 70s on both days of the district and state tournaments.
• Won the Class 3A district title by 23 strokes. It was her second consecutive district title.
• Playing in her third state tourney, she finished a career-best seventh, five strokes off the lead.
• Fired a 69 in a practice round before state.
More about Chloe
• Favorite subjects: History and photography. “I think (history) is fascinating. I love taking photos, especially landscape portraits. It’s so beautiful.”
• Favorite music: “Mostly country,” she said, noting Rascal Flatts is her favorite band. “I like everything, but right now it’s country.”
• Favorite movie: “I just saw The Avengers. I really liked it. That’s up there.”
• Has a head cover for her driver that looks like her first dog, “Rusty.”
Next year and beyond
• “My goal is to get a scholarship and play golf and win state. Stuff like that,” she said with a smile.
“I’m hoping to know by the end of (this) summer where I’m going to go.”
“It’s just kind of who I am. I am a golfer. It will always be a part of my life. I don’t want that to change.”
— Chloe Bartek describing what her sport means to her
Rest of All-Region team
• Belex Cheng, Union: 4A district champion; 4A GSHL co-player of the year.
• Delaney Keser, Skyview: 4A Greater St. Helens League co-player of the year.
• Rachel Kim, Mountain View: First-team all-3A GSHL selection.
• Amanda Poore, Prairie: First-team all-3A Greater St. Helens League.
• Jamie Stilwell, Prairie: Class 3A district runner-up; first-team all-3A GSHL.
• Emma Wriston, Skyview: First-team all-4A GSHL; top 4A finisher at state.