Crews knock out attic fire in Central Vancouver

By Paul Suarez, Columbian web producer

Published:

Updated: June 11, 2012, 7:47 PM

 

Vancouver firefighters on Monday morning knocked out an attic fire in a Maple Wood neighborhood house.

The fire was reported at 3907 E. 15th St. around 7:40 a.m.

Several units from the Vancouver Fire Department responded to the house, near 15th Street and Brandt Road. Arriving units reported light smoke coming from the attic, according to emergency radio traffic monitored at The Columbian.

Vancouver police temporarily blocked the intersection.

A man in the home told firefighters he smelled smoke and noticed the ceiling in the top floor of the home was hot, said Capt. Kevin Murray, a Vancouver fire spokesman. The man saw smoke when he looked into the attic, got his family out of the house and called 911, Murray said.

Because the fire was reported early, crews were able to cover items in the home with salvage tarps to protect them from damage during the firefighting effort, Murray said.

The fire appeared to be under control by about 8 a.m.

A Vancouver Fire Marshal said the fire was unintentional and caused by an electrical problem. It caused an estimated $10,000 in damage.