Unattended item on stove causes fire near WSUV

By Paul Suarez, Columbian web producer

Published:

Updated: June 11, 2012, 7:49 PM

 

An unattended item cooking on a stove top sparked a fire midday Monday at a house near Washington State University Vancouver, officials said.

The fire was reported around 11:15 a.m. at a split-level home at 14712 N.E. 29th Ave. in the Fairgrounds neighborhood. Four engines from Clark County Fire District 6, in addition to an engine and truck from the Vancouver Fire Department, responded.

The first firefighters on the scene reported seeing light smoke coming from the house. Firefighters ran a hose inside and had the fire out within a few minutes.

A woman who lives in the home said she was cooking something on the stove and left the house for less than an hour, said Dawn Johnson, spokeswoman for Fire District 6.

“We don’t recommend people leaving for any amount of time,” Johnson said.

No one was home at the time of the fire. Firefighters found three dogs uninjured in a downstairs bedroom, Johnson said.

Fire damage was contained to the kitchen. The top floor of the home was damaged by smoke. The fire caused an estimated $20,000 in damage to the structure and $15,000 to contents of the house.

Clark County sheriff’s deputies responded to control traffic.

Unattended cooking is the leading cause of kitchen fires, according to a Clark County Fire District 6 bulletin.

The district gives the following advice to avoid mishaps:

“People should stay in the home to monitor items. If you’re frying, grilling or broiling food, don’t leave the kitchen. If you’re baking, roasting or boiling food, check it regularly, stay in the home and set a timer. Stay alert.”