IndyCar won't replace canceled China race

Published:

 

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- IndyCar will not replace its canceled China race, leaving the season schedule at 15 events.

IndyCar had been exploring a replacement since announcing earlier this month that event organizers had canceled the Aug. 19 race in China. Among the options was a race at Road America, but the track had a Sunday night deadline for an agreement.

IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard says the series wants to add events that have long-term potential and can be successfully promoted. A rushed event simply to keep the schedule at 16 races made no sense.

Series sponsor Izod says it supports IndyCar's decision not to add a 16th race, which is required as part of its deal. Mike Kelly of Izod's marketing group says the sponsor did not want IndyCar to add a "quick fix." The finale is Sept. 15 at California.