Portland doctors remove 37 magnets from girl

Published:

 

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- A 3-year-old Oregon girl who swallowed 37 tiny magnets is expected to make a full recovery.

The Buckyballs were removed from the girl's intestines Monday by doctors at Legacy Emmanuel Medical Center.

Spokeswoman Maegan Vidal told KGW (http://is.gd/UL69Av ) her parents took her to be checked after several days of flu-like symptoms. An X-ray revealed the magnets had formed themselves in a ring that looked like a bracelet. Swallowed magnets can pinch the digestive tract and cause serious damage.

The maker of Buckyballs issued a statement regretting the incident and saying the magnets are not toys intended for children.

___

Information from: KGW-TV, http://www.kgw.com/