Portland doctors remove 37 magnets from girl

Published:

 

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A 3-year-old Oregon girl who swallowed 37 tiny magnets is expected to make a full recovery.

The Buckyballs were removed from the girl's intestines Monday by doctors at Legacy Emmanuel Medical Center.

Spokeswoman Maegan Vidal told KGW her parents took her to be checked after several days of flu-like symptoms. An X-ray revealed the magnets had formed themselves in a ring that looked like a bracelet. Swallowed magnets can pinch the digestive tract and cause serious damage.

The maker of Buckyballs issued a statement regretting the incident and saying the magnets are not toys intended for children.