Letter: Heed warning labels on toys

Published:

 

I visited a little 3-year-old girl in the hospital who had surgery to repair damage done to her intestines from swallowing small, magnetic metal balls. She is not the first little one to swallow these “toys,” but I pray she will be the last. The damage is severe. She cannot have anything to drink or eat for two weeks and she is hooked up to tubes from her toes to her nose. If the surgery is not successful and more damage is found, she might not be able to eat for a month. Even though the boxes the magnetic balls come in have a warning, the only person who sees this warning is the one who opens the box. I just wanted to warn everyone to be aware of the danger of these innocent looking “toys.”

Billye Bowles

Vancouver