Thursday, March 15, 2012
Tsugawa Nursery: 410 E. Scott Ave., Woodland. Events are free unless noted. Register: 360-225-8750 or http://tsugawanursery.com.
• 11 a.m. March 17: Beginning Bonsai Class. Learn where to begin and what plants, pots, soil and tools are needed.
• 1 p.m. March 17: Bonsai Group. Learn tips and techniques from experienced bonsai enthusiasts.
• 1 p.m. March 31: Best Fruit Trees and Berries for the Pacific Northwest. Class will cover pollination, fertilization, pruning and care to help you grow an abundance of fruit and berries.
Shorty’s Garden and Home: 10006 Mill Plain Blvd., Vancouver. Events are free unless noted. Register: 360-892-7880 or http://www.shortysgardenandhome.com/?cid=998.
• 1 to 3 p.m. March 18: Mini-gardening for Kids. This hands-on class is good for all ages and is a unique chance to explore personal tastes. $15 fee includes a gardening box, soil and fertilizer; if you choose to use a container, the fee is credited toward your purchase.
• 10 a.m. to noon March 24: Rose Care with Don and Rosie Dean. Learn the proper planting, pruning, fertilizing and all season care.
• 10 a.m. to noon March 31: A comprehensive overview of lawn care, including pest control, mole treatments, fertilization and moss control. Organic and synthetic lawn-care options will also be discussed.
• 1 to 3 p.m. March 31: Learn about fruit-bearing shrubs, cane berries and other edibles. The class will cover planning, planting, soil and fertilizing, all-season care and harvesting.
• 10 a.m. to noon April 7: Spring Containers. Kellie Sinclair will discuss concepts, styles and pertinent plants for containers. Build your own container; a pottery offer will be available for class attendees.
• 1 to 3 p.m. April 7: Living Wreaths. In this hands-on class you will design and build your own sedum wreaths. $15 fee is credited toward your purchase of materials and plants.
Rose Care Seminars: Presented by the Fort Vancouver Rose Society. Learn how to plant, prune and care for roses. Common fungus control, insect and disease issues and fertilizers will be discussed. Free. 360-696-1331.n 10 a.m. March 24 at Shorty’s Nursery, 10006 S.E. Mill Plain Blvd., Vancouver.
Grow Vancouver: Where Growers Meet: 6:30 to 8 p.m. March 20 at Vancouver Community Library, 901 C St., Vancouver. Topic: Seed exchange and community garden connections. Bring baggies to take home seeds. Snack trays by JoFoody catering available, but bring your own food dishes to share. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Square Foot Gardening: 6:30 to 8 p.m. March 24 at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Vancouver, 4505 E. 18th St., Vancouver. Kris Potter, founder of Family Gardening and coordinator of Clark County Homegrown Gardens, will lead the workshop. Donations appreciated.Rain Barrel Workshop: 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. March 20 at 78th Street Heritage Farm, 1919 N.E. 78th St., Vancouver. Workshop includes instruction on assembly and installation, barrel, parts and snacks, $35. http://wwwbrownpapertickets.com/event/219618.Gardening with Native Plants: 10 a.m. to noon March 24 at Center for Agricultural, Scientific and Environmental Education, 11104 N.E. 149th St., Room 206, Brush Prairie. Micki Stauffer, master gardener, will discuss the benefits of incorporating native plants into home yards and gardens. Free to NatureScaping members; $15 for nonmembers. Register: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
VanRidge Garden Club: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 19 at Pleasant View Church of the Nazarene, 801 N.E. 194th St., Ridgefield. Shorty’s Garden and Home will present new plants, followed by an auction and potluck. 360-574-7965.
Camas-Washougal Community Garden Club: 1 p.m. the fourth Wednesday of each month. Camas Community Center, 1817 S.E. Seventh Ave., Camas. Visitors welcome. 360-210-8012.
Fort Vancouver Rose Society meeting: 7 to 9 p.m. the first Thursday of each month, Clark County Genealogy Annex, 7165 Grand Blvd., Vancouver. Meet rose lovers and learn from experts. Free. 360-696-1331.
Vancouveria Garden Club: 12:30 to 3 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month, Covington House, 4201 Main St., Vancouver. 360-936-6515.
Vancouver Chrysanthemum Society: 2:30 p.m. the third Monday of every month, Heritage Farm, 1919 N.E. 78th St., Vancouver. 360-896-7278.
Send information to email@example.com.