Soda-wielding Samaritan stops fire
Saturday, March 24, 2012
A local man put out a couch fire with a bottle of Coca-Cola on Thursday night, officials said.
Firefighters were called to a reported fire in an apartment at 6811 N.E. 121st Ave. around 10:30 p.m. Multiple callers reported seeing smoke but no fire, according to emergency radio traffic monitored at The Columbian.
Firefighters arrived and found a sofa cushion had caught fire but was put out. Apparently a neighbor ran in and doused it with a bottle of Coke, said Capt. Dave James, a Vancouver fire department spokesman.
He said the burning cushion had been taken out of the apartment before firefighters arrived.
Ambulance crews from AMR were brought in to evaluate two people for possible smoke inhalation. At least one person was taken to the hospital as a precaution, James said.