Woman fleeing Moxee house fire failed to make it

Published:

 

MOXEE, Wash. (AP) -- A woman who died in a house fire Thursday morning at Moxee had awakened in time to warn her husband, but he was the only one to escape.

East Valley Fire Chief George Spencer says David Quevedo was leaving the home when he noticed his wife was not behind him. An arriving officer found him collapsed outside the front door suffering from smoke inhalation.

The Yakima Herald-Republic reports (http://is.gd/jEpotL ) firefighters found the body of his wife, 60-year-old Connie Quevedo, in a bathroom. It's unclear why she didn't make it outside. She died of smoke inhalation.

An investigator says the fire apparently started accidentally in the living room.

___

Information from: Yakima Herald-Republic, http://www.yakimaherald.com