MILAN (AP) -- A magnitude 5.8 earthquake has shaken northern Italy and Italian media say it has killed at least five people.
The United States Geological Survey said the quake, which struck at 9:00 a.m. local time (0700 GMT) Tuesday, was centered 40 kilometers (25 miles) northwest of the central city of Bologna.
It hit the same region where a stronger temblor measuring 6.0 earlier this month killed seven people.
The news agency LaPresse reported that five people died and another five were buried under the rubble of collapsed homes and factories. Italian media also said a tower in San Felice sul Panaro had collapsed.
Television footage on Sky News 24 showed evacuees from the previous quake peering out of shaking tents in disbelief.