Thursday, November 1, 2012
Tsugawa Nursery: 410 E. Scott Ave., Woodland. Events are free unless noted. • Register: online or 360-225-8750.
• What to do in the garden: 11 a.m. Nov. 3. Covers monthly tasks, including pruning, spraying, general cleanup. Registration required.
• Wreaths and centerpieces: 1 p.m. Nov. 17. Learn to make Thanksgiving wreaths for the front door or a centerpiece. $35.
Shorty's Garden and Home: 10006 Mill Plain Blvd. Events are free unless noted. • Register: 360-892-7880 or online.
• Dormant spray: 10 a.m. to noon Nov. 3. Rob Sculley will discuss dormant spray and why it is important to think about it through the fall, winter and early spring.
• Winterizing your landscape: 10 a.m. to noon Nov. 10. John Ellerton will demonstrate pruning basics, preventative tree and shrub care, and the top tasks for fall and winter.
• Thanksgiving centerpieces: 10 a.m. to noon Nov. 17. Kellie Sinclair will lead this hands-on class. $25 fee covers supplies.
Annual Chrysanthemum Show: Noon to 5 p.m. Nov. 3 and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 4. Presentation by Sogetsu School of Ikebana at 2 p.m. Nov. 3. Plants and blooms will be for sale at the Clark Public Utilities community room, 1200 Fort Vancouver Way. Show entries must be submitted from 1 to 6 p.m. Nov. 2. Show admission is free.
Greenhouse high tunnel workshop: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 2 at the American Legion Hall, 4607 N.E. St. James Road. Washington State University Extension class is for rural landowners and home gardeners interested in learning more about high tunnels for raising vegetables and small fruits under a protected hoop-house. $30. • Register: online. Information: Charles Brun, email or 360-397-6060, ext. 5701.
Clark County Master Gardener Foundation: 7 p.m. Nov. 6 at CASEE, Room 202, 11104 N.E. 149th St., Brush Prairie. Speaker: Vern Nelson, garden columnist for The Oregonian. • 360-397-6060, ext. 5706.
Plant propagation: 10 a.m. to noon Nov. 17 at CASEE, Room 205, 11104 N.E. 149th St., Brush Prairie. Learn plant propagation techniques. Class will be indoors with a presentation on plant choice suggestions, the benefits of plant propagation; and weather dependent, a tour of the Wildlife Botanical Gardens. NatureScaping classes are free for members, or $15 for nonmembers. • Register: by email or email.
Vermicomposting workshop: 10 a.m. to noon Nov. 10 at CASEE, Room 202, 11104 N.E. 149th St., Brush Prairie. Assemble and take home a fully functional worm bin for turning organic kitchen waste into a rich garden amendment. $35 per family.Ffee covers cost of bin and redworms. Registration required. • Information.
Fort Vancouver Rose Society meeting: 7 to 9 p.m. first Thursday of the month, Clark County Genealogy Annex, 7165 Grand Blvd. Free. • 360-696-1331.
Vancouveria Garden Club: 12:30 to 3 p.m. third Tuesday of each month, Covington House, 4201 Main St. • 360-936-6515.
Vancouver Chrysanthemum Society: 2:30 p.m. third Mondays, Heritage Farm, 1919 N.E. 78th St. • 360-896-7278.
Send submissions via email.