Home-invasion robber pleads guilty to assault

He broke into woman's home, tied up and beat her




A Vancouver man pleaded guilty Monday to a 2011 home invasion robbery in which a woman was bound and beaten.

Adam C. Lewis, 26, admitted to first-degree assault and first-degree unlawful possession of a firearm in connection to the May 5, 2011, robbery.

He already pleaded guilty last month to first-degree robbery and first-degree burglary relating to an incident three days earlier, in which he broke into a garage and stole a man’s car.

Lewis, who has an extensive criminal history that includes a rape conviction, will be sentenced Dec. 14.

The sentencing range for both crimes is 25 years to 31 1/2 years in prison. Senior Deputy Prosecutor Alan Harvey told the judge that he plans to recommend a sentence of 27 years and eight months in prison.

That’s the sentence agreed upon as part of a plea bargain crafted by Harvey and defense attorney Robert Vukanovich.

Harvey said the victim in the assault case did not want a lesser punishment.

“She was concerned for the safety of the residents in the state of Washington,” Harvey said.

Attention in court turned to Lewis’ civic rights.

Clark County Superior Court Judge Dan Stahnke told the defendant about the rights he forfeits by pleading guilty, including his right to vote in elections. Stahnke then told him the state was recommending a 332-month sentence.

Do you understand? the judge asked.

“So I can’t vote?” Lewis responded, then chuckled.

Vukanovich reminded him that because he had pleaded guilty last month to the other charge, he has already given up his right to vote.

“Tomorrow’s the day,” the judge interjected.

According to court documents, the string of cases began when Lewis broke into the garage of a house in the 2100 block of Northeast 161st Place. After being confronted by the resident, Lewis, who had stolen the car keys, got inside a vehicle and tried to escape. The resident tried to stop him and was injured, investigators said.

Three days later, Lewis broke into a woman’s house in the 2300 block of East 27th Street. Armed with a handgun, he handcuffed the woman and strapped a leather belt around her torso and arms.

In the next hour, he then ordered the woman around the house at gunpoint, asking her for money and marijuana. Police said Lewis punched and kicked the woman when she attempted to break free.

When the victim’s husband returned home, he confronted Lewis, and the two wrestled for the gun, police said. The husband fired a gunshot in his direction but missed. Meanwhile, the woman ran to a nearby supermarket and sought help.

Lewis is being held in the Clark County Jail without bail.

Laura McVicker: http://twitter.com/col_courts; http://facebook.com/reportermcvicker; laura.mcvicker@columbian.com; 360-735-4516.