Crews knock out Ridgefield house fire

By Paul Suarez, Columbian freelance

Published:

 

A fire caused about $10,000 in damage to a Ridgefield area home Tuesday afternoon, officials said.

The fire was reported at 2:20 p.m. at 22215 N.E. 29th Ave., according to emergency dispatch logs.

Firefighters arrived and found smoke coming from the eaves and vents, said Battalion Chief Tim Dawdy, with Clark County Fire & Rescue. Crews rushed into the house and extinguished a first-floor fire with a hose. The fire was in the living area of the home near a pellet stove, Dawdy said.

No one was at home when the fire sparked but a cat was reportedly in the house, Dawdy said. Crews were attempting to find it after dousing the flames.

About 15 firefighters with Clark County Fire & Rescue, the Vancouver Fire Department, Clark County Fire District 6 and Fire District 3 responded.

CCF&R Battalion Chief Max Konkright said damage to the house would have been a lot worse if it wasn't for the crews' fast response.

Dawdy said the fire serves as is a good reminder for people to be make sure pellet stoves are cleaned before they are used.