Officials say burning log sparked blaze that killed woman, 57
Tuesday, November 20, 2012
SUQUAMISH — Fire officials say a fatal house fire in Suquamish likely started when a burning log rolled out of a fireplace, igniting a rug and other combustibles.
North Kitsap Fire and Rescue spokeswoman Michele Laboda says Monday afternoon's fire killed a 57-year-old woman.
Investigators with the Kitsap County fire marshal's office said Tuesday that the home caught fire while the woman was upstairs.
It was unclear whether a smoke alarm in the home was working.
The fire was reported by neighbors and was difficult to extinguish because flames had spread to all three floors of the home.