Sylvan apartment explodes; man allegedly cooking hashish
Friday, November 30, 2012
SYLVAN, Ore. (AP) — Authorities say a man was cooking hashish — increasing the potency of marijuana — when the process exploded, damaging his apartment in Sylvan and leaving the 22-year-old with severe burns to the upper half of his body.
The Washington County sheriff's office said the man was on Thursday night using highly volatile chemicals that became unstable. The blast blew furniture and other household items 50 feet out of the apartment.
The man was taken to the burn center at Legacy Emmanuel Medical Center where he was listed in stable condition.
Residents of three adjoining apartments were evacuated but no one else was hurt.