Over-microwaved food starts fire

Lincoln neighborhood duplex damaged

By Tom Vogt, Columbian Science, Military & History Reporter and Craig Brown, Columbian Metro Editor



A duplex in Vancouver’s Lincoln neighborhood was damaged by a fire Saturday evening.

The fire was reported about 7:30 p.m. at 3915 Creston Ave., just west of Main Street. The fire started when food cooking in a microwave oven overheated. However, when firefighters arrived they quickly discovered that the flames had spread from the microwave oven into a vent, the kitchen cabinets, and up into the rafters, said Capt. Matt Krussow of the Vancouver Fire Department.

Firefighters were able to bring the fire under control in about 10 minutes, according to emergency radio traffic monitored at The Columbian. Damage was significant enough to render the unit temporarily uninhabitable. A pile of debris was removed from the home and soaked down by firefighters. The power had to be shut off, and firefighters had to use a power saw to make holes so they could gain access to the attic fire.

According to county property records, the unit is single-story duplex built in 1959 and owned by Ty Stanton of Kihei, Hawaii.

The Vancouver Fire Department was assisted by Clark County Fire District 6. Approximately 20 firefighters and a battalion chief were on the scene, with four engines and a ladder truck.

Don't Do Stupid Stuff Mugs