1917 Ridgefield house badly burned

Residents escape home that had no smoke detectors

By

Published:

 

Fire late Saturday night caused extensive damage to a Ridgefield house that dates to 1917, said Battalion Chief Tim Dawdy of Clark County Fire & Rescue.

The blaze at 315 Maple St. broke out at 11:51 p.m. Residents were awake and escaped. Fire started in an upstairs bedroom and smoke and flames were visible when firefighters arrived within four minutes, Dawdy said. There were no working smoke detectors in the house, Dawdy added.

Battalion Chief Brett Graham said quick response from the downtown Ridgefield Fire Station allowed firefighters to get water on the fire fast.

Clark County Fire District 6 also responded to the fire, which was brought under control in 10 minutes.

In all, 19 firefighters worked the blaze.

Dawdy said damage to the second floor was extensive.

The fire is under investigation.

The house is owned by Russel and Mary Railsback of Corvallis, Ore., according to Clark County property records.

"Smoke detectors are an essential part of our fire-protection strategy. If you cannot afford or are unable to install smoke detectors in your home, you should contact your local fire district for assistance," Dawdy said.