75 reptiles, amphibians lost in Longview house fire
Friday, October 26, 2012
LONGVIEW, Wash. (AP) — A fire at the Longview home of a man who brought reptiles, spiders and amphibians to schools and children's parties has killed about 75 of the 100 creatures housed there.
Cowlitz 2 Fire and Rescue Lt. Jeremy Huff says "Reptile Road Show" owner Garth Pithan wasn't home when the fire started Thursday.
The Daily News reports that Pithan soon arrived. After the smoke cleared, he was allowed to crawl inside and load the roughly 25 sooty survivors into plastic tubs.
The house was destroyed.
Pithan says he lost about half the main animals he brought to parties.
Survivors include a 70-pound tortoise named Bowser and a Colombian red-tail boa named Angel. An albino Burmese python was badly burned.