Attic fire damages central Vancouver home

By Laura McVicker, Columbian staff writer

Published:

 

An attic fire damaged a house this morning in the Oakbrook neighborhood.

The blaze was reported about 7:48 a.m. at the house at 3314 N.E. 101st Court, off Burton Road. The two people inside managed to escape safely and no one was injured, said Vancouver firefighter-spokesman Kevin Stromberg.

The two had awoken to a strange, smoky smell and then saw their neighbor run across the street to their house, saying the house was on fire.

Responding four minutes later, firefighters brought the fire under control 15 minutes later, Stromberg said.

The fire caused $145,000 in damage; the home is unlivable, Stromberg said. The fire appeared to be unintentional and started from chimney smoke from a fire in the fireplace that had slipped into the attic and spread, fire officials said.