An open house will be held from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday at a former World War II chapel on the site of Memorial Lutheran Church, 2700 E. 28th St.
The chapel was built in 1941 at Camp Hatheway, a U.S. Army installation in the north portion of Vancouver Barracks, at what now is the Clark College campus.
After the war, almost 200 buildings at Camp Hatheway were put up for sale to local agencies and nonprofits. The chapel was bought by the church and moved to its current location. Services were held in the chapel until the current Memorial Lutheran Church was built in 1964.
The nonprofit Vancouver Barracks Military Association is working to acquire the WWII chapel from the church and return it to a spot somewhere within the historic boundaries of Vancouver Barracks, which stretched from the Columbia River to Fourth Plain Boulevard during WWII.