Soft selling training: A hands-on sales training for those who hate to sell and/or use hard-sell tactics, "Jim Lorentzen's Soft Selling Sales Training," 6:30-8:30 p.m. at DIY Marketing Center (inside Greater Vancouver Chamber of Commerce office), 1101 Broadway, Suite 100. Free. * Register: http://www.diymarketingcenter.com/public_events, 360-882-1298.
Speaker series: MBA Stakeholder Speaker Series: "Southwest Airlines in a Nutshell," 7 p.m., Washington State University Vancouver, undergraduate building, Room 1, 14204 N.E. Salmon Creek Ave. Shari Conaway, director of People at Southwest Airlines, will discuss what is at the heart of what makes Southwest Airlines successful. Free. * Jerry Goodstein, firstname.lastname@example.org
Web training: The Resource Network introduces a business expert with advice and professional tips, 7:30 a.m., Educational Service District 112, Pacific Room, 2500 N.E. 65th Ave. Dene Grigar of Washington State University Vancouver will talk about Web analytics and search engine optimization. Dragonfly Cafe & Espresso will provide a continental breakfast. Cost is $5. * 360-694-2588.
Battle Ground Chamber of Commerce: April general meeting, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., The Cedars on Salmon Creek, 15001 N.E. 181st St., Brush Prairie. Dean and Cheri Perry, owners of Total Merchant Concepts, will make a presentation on how and why excellent customer service is even more important today. Admission, $17 members; $15 others. * Reservations, email@example.com or Shirley or Connie, 360-687-1510.
Vancouver's Downtown Association: Quarterly meeting at 7:45 a.m. at Hilton Vancouver, Washington, 301 W. Sixth St. Topic: "Downtown: Where Businesses Go To Become Smarter." Drawing for free Google Street Tour package worth $500. * Reservations: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Focus group: The Thursday Member Focus Group for business professionals meets 7:45-9 a.m. Thursdays, with refreshments. The April 11 meeting is at Banner Bank, 3100 S.E. 164th Ave. Mark Blessley will talk about Blessley Instruments and doing something you love and ways to overcome stress. http://www.blessleyinstruments.com, 360-693-7781.
• Thubten Comerford, CEO of WePost Media, speaking on the importance of social media in business today, April 18. http://www.wepostmedia.com
• Patrick Locke will present a book review of "Think & Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill, April 25 at Courtyard Village, 4555 N.E. 66th Ave. http://www.naphill.org * Focus group information: email@example.com
Clark County Pub Talk: Marketing musts and mistakes, 5 to 8 p.m. April 16 at Fort Vancouver National Historic Site, Artillery Barracks, 600 E. Hatheway Road. Light refreshments; beverages available for purchase. Fee is $20 members, $30 for others. * Contact: Courtney Givens, 360-909-5632 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Free financial seminar: Vicki Fitzsimmons of Edward Jones Investments presents a free seminar, "Take Control of your Financial Future: A Financial Seminar for Women," from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. April 16 at 9901 N.E. Seventh Ave., Suite A102. * Register: Debra, 360-573-6604.
Leads & Needs: Networking event, 7:30-9 a.m. April 17 at Beaches Restaurant and Bar, 1919 S.E. Columbia River Drive, $5. Continental breakfast provided. Greater Vancouver Chamber of Commerce members may bring a nonmember guest. * Register: 360-694-2588 or http://vancouverusa.com.
Free tax help for low income: Free tax assistance and preparation for taxpayers with low and moderate income of all ages, with special attention to those age 60 and older, is available from AARP Tax-Aide through April 15. Photo ID is required for the taxpayer present and must bring acceptable proof of Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number for every person on the tax return. AARP Tax-Aide volunteers, trained in cooperation with the Internal Revenue Service, will offer assistance with personal income tax returns at the following sites:
• First Baptist Church, 108 W. 27th St., noon to 4 p.m., Mondays and Wednesdays.
• Marshall Community Center, 1009 E. McLoughlin Blvd., noon to 4 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays.
• Vancouver Community Library, 901 C St., 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays; 2 to 6 p.m. Wednesdays; 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays.
• Cascade Park Community Library, 600 N.E. 136th Ave., noon to 4 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
• Battle Ground Community Library, 1207 S.E. Eighth St., Battle Ground, 3 to 7 p.m. Wednesdays and 1 to 5 p.m. Fridays.
• Three Creeks Community Library, 800-C E. Tenney Road, 1 to 5 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays and 3 to 7 p.m. Thursdays.
• 888-687-2277 or http://www.aarp-tax-aide-sw-washington.org
The Columbian welcomes submissions about Clark County residents or businesses as well as regional business events. Information must be received by noon Tuesday preceding the intended Monday publication date. Send to email@example.com or fax 360-735-4491.