People in business
• Cmdr. Michael Whitney, who oversees the Vancouver Police Department’s East Precinct District 3, completed a 10-week course at the FBI National Academy at Quantico, Va., on March 22. The program included classes on advanced investigation, management and fitness training. The mission of the program is to improve the administration of justice in police departments and to raise law enforcement standards, knowledge and cooperation worldwide, according to the FBI website.
• John Buehler has joined the staff of HDJ Design Group in Vancouver. Buehler will perform technical support and engineering design duties as part of the transportation group at HDJ. A recent graduate of Oregon State University, where he earned his bachelor's degree in civil engineering, Buehler is originally from Panama.
• Kris de Groot, financial adviser at Morgan Stanley, has been named the 2013 Five Star Wealth Manager. De Groot, a Vancouver resident, is a two-time recipient of the Five Star Wealth Management award, featured in Portland Monthly. He works with business owners, families and retirees.
• Shyla Strain has been hired as administrative assistant at Erickson Structural Consulting Engineers. Erickson Structural provides structural engineering design and consultation to architects, building owners, insurers, attorneys and contractors.
• Pacific Lifestyle Homes has hired Mark Ferris as land acquisition manager. Ferris, who has more than 35 years of experience in land planning, engineering and real estate investment, will specialize in acquiring property to support Pacific Lifestyle's community development and homebuilding efforts.
Other business news
• PBS Engineering and Environmentalhas moved its downtown Vancouver office into newer space three blocks north at 1500 D St. to accommodate its evolving and expanding needs. The Vancouver office houses more than 30 professionals. The company has seven additional locations in Washington, Oregon and Idaho.
The Columbian welcomes submissions about Clark County residents or businesses, as well as regional business events. Information must be received by noon of the Tuesday preceding the intended Sunday publication date. Send to email@example.com or fax 360-735-4491. Sales awards are not published.