A fire that sent plumes of black smoke into the sky damaged a mobile home Friday evening at Fair Oaks Estates in Vancouver.
Bystanders heard three explosions from barbecue propane tanks inside the single-wide home, blowing out a window. Three engines, a ladder truck, a battalion chief and two water tenders were dispatched to 5404 N.E. 121st Ave. at 6:11 p.m. The water system in the complex was out of service, so there was no available hydrant, said Battalion Chief Kevin Griffee.
Arriving crews found the back third of the structure on fire, with flames spreading to an adjacent shed. Two residents and two dogs were out of the mobile home and safe, Griffee said.
Firefighters prevented the fire from spreading to nearby homes and got the blaze under control at 6:47 p.m.