Dense freezing fog has prompted school closures and delays throughout Clark County.
The National Weather Service has issued a dense fog advisory in effect until noon today for the greater Portland and Vancouver areas, the south Willamette Valley and the lower Columbia and Interstate 5 corridor in Cowlitz County.
A spokesman at the National Weather Service says even after that fog lifts in the afternoon, it's expected to crop up again in the evening hours.
"It might clear up for a bit in the afternoon but it will get right back into the soup tonight, said Gerald Macke, a meteorological technician at the National Weather Service. "The lifting of the fog will be short lived. With no wind out of the gorge, we can expect to see it again tonight and tomorrow."
The fog is expected to limit visibility to a quarter mile or less at times, with freezing fog may lead to icy spots on roadways.
At least two crashes occurred on Interstate 5 southbound in the Ridgefield area during the morning commute, but neither resulted in injuries.
Around 5:20 a.m. a van of unknown make and model struck the guardrail on the interstate around mile post 14. A tow truck driver stopped to assist in the crash, and a semitrailer struck the tow truck, blocking the right lane of traffic.
Washington State Patrol Trooper Will Finn said he was unsure of how long the lanes were blocked, but stated the crashes were cleared as of 7:45 a.m.
Here is the status of local schools as of 8:00 a.m. Wednesday:
Clark Co. Schools
• Battle Ground Sch. Dist. - Closed due to icy road conditions.
• Camas Sch. Dist. - 2 hours late: no AM preschool or LEAP. Extended Day opens at 8:30 AM. Normal routes. No early release. AM Kindergarten is open for a modified full day.
• Evergreen Sch. Dist. - Closed. Afternoon and evening activities have been cancelled.
• Green Mountain Sch. Dist. - 2 Hour late start. No connecting High School bus routes. No hot lunch service..
• Hockinson Sch. Dist. - Closed, all afternoon and evening activities/events are canceled.
• La Center Sch. Dist. - Closed.
• Ridgefield Sch. Dist. - Closed.
• Vancouver Sch. Dist. - Closed. All evening activities are cancelled.
• Washougal Sch. Dist. - Closed.
• Woodland Sch. Dist. - Closed.
Private & Charter Schools - SW Wash.
• Cornerstone Christian Vancouver - K-8 campuses closed-ECE late start at 10:00 a.m.
• Columbia Adventist Acad. - Late Start. Handbells 9 a.m.; Band at 9:30 a.m.; First block classes at 10 a.m.
• Firm Foundation Christian - 2.5 Hours Late, No AM preschool
• King's Way Christian - 2 hours late, no AM K. LC open at 6:30 a.m. for full-day care, before-school care.
• Meadow Glade Adventist Elem. - 2 hour delay. No hand bells. No AM kidzone.
• St. Joseph Catholic - 2 Hours Late, No AM preschool.
• Three Rivers Christian - Elementary and High School is 2 hours late. Child Development Center is operating on normal hours.
Columbia Gorge Schools
• Mt. Pleasant Sch. Dist. - Closed.
• Stevenson-Carson Sch. Dist. - 2 hours late, No AM preschool and No early release.
Head Start Programs
EOCF Head Start/ECEAP - Full Day open at 9 a.m. ECEAP classrooms in Evergreen school district CLOSED. ECEAP classrooms in Vancouver district 2 hrs late.
Private Colleges & Universities
• Everest College - Vancouver - All Classes are cancelled. Staff are to report to work 2 hours late.
This story will be updated.